1.19.2010

SuperAwesomeEasy(HEALTHY) French Toast

I just got "Deceptively Delicious" and tried the very first receipe in the book. It was so easy and delicious so I am passing it on to you.

The basic gist is that you puree something like banana, squash, sweet potato, carrot, pumpkin, etc. and just mix it in with your eggs when you dredge the bread. I used pumpkin because I had a can laying around from Thanksgiving. I made this for myself and Caroline and halved the recipe, which yielded 3 slices total. This is a great way to sneak in something healthy with stuff you already like, which benefits everyone!

4 large eggs
2 TBSP healthy puree of your choice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
4 slices whole wheat bread
nonstick spray
2 tsp margarine
maple syrup and powdered sugar (optional)

Whisk the eggs, puree and cinnamon together in a bowl. Add the bread turn them to soak up the mix, no longer than 30 seconds.

Coat a nonstick pan or griddle with the cooking spray, once it's hot add the margarine until it's sizzling (she recommends adding flaxseed too but we did not have that on hand-i bet wheat germ would work as well). Cook until golden brown on each side, about 2-3 minutes. Serve with syrup and sugar if desired. I also cut up some fresh fruit for the topping.

No comments:

Post a Comment