10.01.2009

Herb Cubes

I love using fresh herbs - like cilantro, basil and rosemary - for cooking.
But I really hate going to the store, buying a HUGE bunch of an herb, and then only using a tiny bit for a recipe...and throwing the rest out. And, of course, I always end up tossing the yucky stuff a day before I need it for another recipe. A great way to save the 'extras' is to freeze them in ice cube trays.

Rinse and dry the herb, pulse it in a food processor until finely chopped, then add a tablespoon or so to as many squares as you can fill. Pour water over them, put the tray in the freezer until frozen, then pop the cubes out and put them in a ziploc bag until you need them. (If you freeze basil, instead of adding water use olive oil and you have the beginnings of pesto).

I frequently use 'cilantro cubes' in the chicken tortilla soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment